Skip to main content

At the start of this blog, take a moment to consider how fascinating the earth we inhabit is. In the whole of the known cosmos, we inhabit an orb of rock, dirt, and water with a molten core and an oxygen-rich atmosphere that orbits a relatively small star in a Goldilocks zone that allows our climate to be perfect for the life that inhabits it. Earth is full of environments and ecosystems, some of which are fragile while others are abundantly resilient. 

As technological developments occurred, the human population continued to increase. One of the key functions enabling that population increase was agriculture. Instead of hunting and gathering, we cultivated and herded. At the time of this blog (fall of 2023), less than 2% of the US population farms and ranches, meaning large yields are required to support the other 98% of us. 

You may be wondering what this has to do with lawn care. The market that drives product development for weed control isn’t generally turf production, golf courses, or lawn care. Instead, we benefit from developments that start in agriculture. 

The Products Nature’s Turf Use Are EPA Regulated and Approved

In 1947, FIFRA (Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act) was created to begin regulating pesticide use. When amendments to FIFRA were made in 1972, the Environmental Protection Agency was formed to enforce FIFRA. Among other tasks, a fundamental function of the EPA is to test, approve, and label pesticides for safe use. Core to those considerations is the environment and sensitive animal species. 

The use of any pest control product must be done following the label. To willfully use a pest control product outside of the site, application standards, transportation, storage, and disposal standards noted in the labeling is illegal, and punishable by fine or incarceration. Just as important as the legal implications, however, are the environmental ones. 

At Nature’s Turf, we strategically use these pest control products and fertilizers while also educating people about integrated pest management and the importance of their maintenance in achieving the results they desire. 

Weed Control Products Are Only Part of The Puzzle

Assumptions are frequently made about the methods and motivations of turfgrass growers. Most of the vitriol is based on fear and misunderstandings driven by misinformation. Some of it is based on truth though. Through time, every link in the pest control development, vetting, and utilization chain has improved. 

While I can’t speak for everyone’s compliance, Nature’s Turf is dedicated to the appropriate use of the tools at our disposal so we can be good stewards of our client’s investment in their property, available products, and the environment.

To achieve the weed control results you desire, we are an important part of the puzzle, but so are you. Weed control and fertilization can help stave off annual weed germination and encourage plant health respectively. Getting the most out of both requires good watering practices, mowing practices, and landscape maintenance to ensure that the environment is suitable for optimal growth. 

Integrated Pest Management and Nature’s Turf

This embraces the ideology of integrated pest management. Something we stand on. As defined by the EA, “Integrated Pest Management (IPM) is an effective and environmentally sensitive approach to pest management that relies on a combination of common-sense practices. IPM programs use current, comprehensive information on the life cycles of pests and their interaction with the environment.

This information, in combination with available pest control methods, is used to manage pest damage by the most economical means, and with the least possible hazard to people, property, and the environment.” Nature’s Turf will continue to stay current on the information and efficacy of available products and strategies, and encourage you to dig deeply into maintenance and management. Together, we can make the best lawn, landscape, and home pest management you’ve had. 

If you’re interested in the pest control or lawn care services provided by Nature’s Turf in Georgia, contact the team today!